After undergoing pregnancy and childbirth, you may be amazed by what your body was capable of achieving, but feeling less-than-thrilled about the indelible marks the process has left behind.
In the struggle to bounce back from pregnancy, many moms find diet and exercise alone are not enough to address the changes childbearing has made to their body. A mommy makeover is the best way to regain your self-esteem after carrying and delivering a child.
Should You Consider a Mommy Makeover?
After nine months – or even longer, if you have chosen to breastfeed – you may be feeling self-conscious that your figure is not what it was before you had a baby. Excitingly, modern cosmetic surgical techniques have made it possible for us to greatly improve common post-pregnancy problem areas and help women feel more confident in their appearance after motherhood.
Mommy makeovers are one of the most popular procedures we perform at our Dallas-area practice. A mommy makeover is a combination of procedures that address women’s biggest post-pregnancy complaints in the same operation. By doing multiple procedures at once, we can also help condense your recovery time and reduce the overall costs of having surgery.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
Though the phrase “mommy makeover” is fairly recent, all the procedures involved have a long and successful track record. For example, a typical makeover might include a tummy tuck, a breast procedure such as a lift or reduction, and liposuction of the legs, arms or buttocks.
● Belly procedures: An abdominoplasty – or tummy tuck – with or without liposuction can reduce the size of that “belly pooch” and give you a flatter stomach. The procedure can also help firm up abdominal muscles that have weakened or become detached under the prolonged stress of carrying a baby.
● Breast procedures: Pregnancy and breastfeeding both result in hormonal changes that enlarge the breasts and areolae and sometimes cause them to sag or become misshapen. Postpartum patients typically benefit from either a breast lift or a breast reduction to help reposition breasts and return them to a youthful shape. You may also opt for breast augmentation with implants to improve overall volume.
● Liposuction: Some areas on our bodies are prone to accumulating diet- and exercise-resistant fat deposits. Liposuction is an option to effectively reshape and improve the look of almost any area of your body, including your stomach, buttocks, arms, neck and thighs.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Mommy makeover surgery is a very customizable set of procedures for any woman who wants to restore her body to a more contoured, pre-pregnancy appearance. We recommend considering the surgeries only after you have finished childbearing and breastfeeding, and have allowed your body to recover for at least one full year after delivering your baby.
If the effects of one or more pregnancies have left you with the following complaints, you may want to consider undergoing a mommy makeover.
● Your belly has loose or flabby skin and stretch marks
● Your waistline has thickened and become less defined
● Despite diet and exercise, stubborn fat deposits remain
● You have flattened or uneven breasts, drooping nipples or stretched areolas
● Due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, your breasts have become so large that they are disrupting your life and causing you discomfort
● You have skin flaps over a scar left from one or more C-sections
● You feel unsatisfied, self-conscious or even depressed about the changes pregnancy and breastfeeding have made to your body
The best candidates for a mommy makeover should also be in good physical health, within their target body weight, be non-smokers and have a positive outlook and realistic expectations for their surgical outcomes.
The patient presented is a 36 year old who has had children and gained a bit of weight afterwards. She was wanting to get her pre pregnancy body back. She also suffered from having large breasts. She was a 38I cup size and suffered from significant neck, back, and should pain.
She underwent a traditional breast reduction with abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction of her flanks and abdomen all in same operation. She was required to stay overnight for observation and was back at home the following morning. The post operative pictures are shown.
Recovering From a Mommy Makeover
You’ll need to plan at least four weeks of recovery time after mommy makeover surgery, depending on what procedures you choose to have done. However, everyone is different, and you may need more or less time to heal. Be sure to follow all post-surgery instructions Dr. Constantine gives you for your specific needs.
Here are some tips to help you have the most successful recovery from a mommy makeover.
● Arrange for support: Ask your spouse, friend, family member, or even hire a caregiver to help you out for your first several days following your surgery. Don’t try to tough it out by yourself. Recovering from surgery can be challenging, and you’ll need someone to help you with daily tasks like bathing, cooking meals and making sure you take medications on time.
● Plan for your children: After your surgery, you probably won’t have the energy to play with your kids right away. For the most effective recovery, ensure you have someone to watch your children during and after your mommy makeover surgery.
● Request time off work: Make sure to take enough time off from work to allow your body time to heal. Don’t get carried away and go back to work before you’re ready, especially if your job involves heavy lifting or any other physical activities.
● Prepare to be emotional: Be aware that your emotions are going to be unpredictable for a little while. In addition to the trauma associated with surgery, pain medication can make your emotions fluctuate wildly.
● Take good care of yourself: Trying to jump right back into your typical daily routine after surgery will just prolong your healing process. Don’t forget, by getting a mommy makeover, you’ve invested in yourself. It’s essential to give your body and mind plenty of time to recover.
Get Your Mommy Makeover at Constantine Plastic Surgery Center
Dr. Fadi Constantine is a highly experienced aesthetic surgeon who is dedicated to providing all his patients with the most natural-looking results.
If you’re ready to return your body to your pre-pregnancy shape and get that firm, youthful figure you’ve been dreaming of, a mommy makeover may be exactly what you’re looking for. Contact our Dallas-area clinic to schedule a consultation for your mommy makeover. Once we have a clear understanding of your goals, we will create an individualized treatment plan to address your specific concerns.